Monday, July 27, 2015

How to self-teach guitar

I have had my guitar for about one month now and I'm proud to say that I can play almost any song with basic chords (about 80% of songs use 2-5 chords throughout the whole song).  Something I recommend doing is watching videos on guitar before you even get one! I watched this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVOr3rqGzp this guy taught me many things you don't know like how to correctly hold your pick. Speaking of picks when you buy a guitar you should get a variety pack of pick so you can find one you like. I found out I prefer John Dunlop 1 mm picks. I also found out guitars don't come tuned. I bought a tuner, but in this day and age there's and app for that. I really like the  GuitarTuna app.Next I would recommenced looking up chords. Start look at chord in the key of G because they're simple and sound great with no capo!

 After learning these chords you can now play most songs!  Something the frustrated me is after about 30 minutes of practicing my first day my fingers hurt soo bad. The good news is after 3-4 weeks your fingers will never hurt again because you'll get calluses *yay*.

I know now you want to learn your favorite song. What I do is just google "song title chords" and the first link is probably going to be ultimatguitar.com I do enjoy this website! If the chords are too complicated all you do is click on the ver # and find another version with simpler chords and good reviews.

When you find a good song with simple chords and good ratings play the chords while singing the song. No matter if your a horrible singer this is the best way to learn. I would start by playing only down stokes. Once you have master chord transitions, now you can play the strumming pattern where I also find online or just play around to see what sounds best.

I really hope this helped! If you have any questions, go right ahead and I will answer them :)









No comments:

Post a Comment